Monday, May 30, 2016

Joseph Smith for President?

I will be experimenting with being outspoken on social media this week. I hope to find some juicy threads about banning Muslim immigrants or combating Mormon homophobia; anything BYU v Utah would be appreciated. Not to say that I don’t fully trust everyone else already commenting on these topics but I thought it’d be fun to mix it up and let my voice be heard a bit. Let’s call it my Facebook rumspringa. Also let’s call it a week between internships so I have time on my hands. I plan to mostly just comment on others stuff but figured I’d start with a post on some political and religious related topics just to start with a bang:

Joseph Smith Jr. ran for President in 1844. As leader of the LDS faith his presidential bid was largely influenced by his dissatisfaction with how federal leadership was addressing issues facing his people (aka if Martin Van Buren sucks, then just run for office yourself). However, his views on the powers and policy of government were pretty fascinating to read and I feel they have some relevance in current presidential discussions. Here are some bullet points and related commentary:

-“I am astounded at the silly moves of persons and parties, to foment discord in order to ride into power on the current of popular excitement.” I like politicians who keep the main thing the main thing and aren’t tossed to and fro with social media waves.

-Joseph didn’t consider himself a Democrat or a Whig… he was a third party candidate. Because none of the leading candidates had adequately responded to his pleas, Joseph was running on principle and didn’t appear to be concerned with stealing votes from a particular party.

-Joseph didn’t like that a big business could default on million dollar notes with no criminal action being brought against defaulters and yet petty crimes led to incarceration.  

-Joseph believed the legislature should “study the convenience of the people more than the comfort of the cabinet.”

-Though Joseph was assassinated while imprisoned for ordering the destruction of a printing press, he praised the colonists for abhorring the Stamp Act and Tea Act because the limted freedom of speech, liberty of press, and liberty of conscience.

-Joseph believed in protecting domestic prosperity with a degree of government oversight including a “judicious tariff” which protects the whole “circumference of the realm” and “accommodates all tastes, trades, and calculations”.

-With the exception of dirty-rotten-pig stealing Martin Van Buren, Joseph referenced every preceding president with respect and highlighted the accomplishments of their terms in office.

-Joseph believed foreign diplomacy should be accomplished by compact as opposed to conquest.

-Joseph revered Andrew Jackson for eliminating the public debt. Harriet Tubman is a big deal but I’d say Andrew Jackson earned his spot on our currency…I forget how much public debt exists today, maybe everyone else has too.

-Joseph didn’t like that the wealthy could achieve legal results over humble parties largely based on their money and well-trained lawyers.  

-Joseph believed reducing the numbers of federal representatives and their pay, “Pay them two dollars and their board per diem (except Sundays); that is more than the farmer gets, and he lives honestly.” I don’t think any inflation needs to be figured into his suggested figure there.
-Joseph encouraged the people to petition their state legislatures to pardon every convict in prison saying to them “go thy way and sin no more”.

-Joseph called for massive reform in criminal law with penalties for crimes to be “work upon roads, public works, or any place where the culprit can be taught more wisdom and more virtue; and become more enlightened. Rigor and seclusion will never do as much to reform the propensities of man, as reason and friendship. Let the penitentiaries be turned into seminaries of learning.” He did still believe murder deserved confinement and potentially death.

-Joseph abhorred slavery. He proposed a compromise in order to get rid of slavery. He proposed that sale of public lands and surplus from reduced congressional salaries be used to give slave holders a reasonable price for their slaves. Joseph treated slave-holders with respect, emphasized their humanity, and believed they would agree to discontinue slavery if fairly negotiated with.

-Joseph believed in getting rid of court martial’s for desertion from the Army (I’m thinking of you Bergdahl). Obviously a different issue then versus today but I do like the emphasis he placed to “Make HONOR the standard with all men.” He send to send them a letter which says, “his country will never trust him again; he has forfeited his honor.”

-Joseph called for Congress to establish a national bank, with branches in each state. He thought leaders of this bank should be elected yearly by the people. He wanted the bank to be prevented from issuing more debt than the amount of capital stock in the vaults.

-Joseph believed in expanding the power of the president in order to allow POTUS to send federal troops to suppress mobs without state approval. This was likely an issue close to home given the lack of support which the Mormon’s received from Missouri leadership against unruly mobs.

-Joseph wanted Texas and Oregon to join the union. Heck he even wanted Canada and Mexico if they were down. Sounds like he was open to globalization so long as it didn’t compromise American values.

-Joseph was a God fearing man who trusted that the Lord would lead the nation right. He was not ashamed to share his testimony that Jesus Christ was the way to salvation.



No comments:

Post a Comment