Monday, March 2, 2015

Books I Have Read

I moved into a new apartment today and took some time to write down the books I own. I recommend most of these and this probably is a close representation of all the text I have read in my life (excluding school required):

Finished
A Reply to the Church of the Firstborn of the Fullness of Times: After Joseph Smith died there was confusion about where the Priesthood authority would continue.
Anthem: Quick read, Ayn Rand. Certain words like “I” are forgotten in this dystopian world.
Bleachers: Really good illustration of high school football and all the intrigue of a Grisham novel.
Death to the BCS: Argument for 16 team playoff system.
Defender of the Faith: B.H. Roberts is a forgotten hero in early church history development.
Divine Providence: Short story depicting the immigration of Australian saints to Utah via a ship which is shipwrecked.
Driven: Larry Miller was an inspiring businessman, philanthropist, and entrepreneur.
Enders Game: Better than the movie.
Enders Shadow: One of the reasons the movie wasn’t perfect was because it didn’t capture the essence of Bean.
Freakonomics: Absolutely blows your mind with unique similarities pointed out in seemingly different arenas.
Gadianton Robbers Series: Excited read as a kid, I still imagine Lamanites running around BYU campus.
Green Eggs and Ham: Dr. Seuss’ Bday today I think.
Hall-Roethlisberger Family History: I am proud of my family heritage.
How to Win Friends and Influence People: Very applicable principles are taught in this book which helped me realize how to treat people better and be more down to earth.
How Will You Measure Your Life: Work-life balance.
Into Thin Air: Very cool, real-life book about a Mt. Everest climb gone bad.
Jesus The Christ: Thick and awesome reference for deep doctrinal understanding of Jesus Christ.
Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling: Joseph Smith was a real person. He knew, his followers knew it, and I know it. And he is as true a prophet as ever.
Life Money Outline: This is actually my first publication (only one copy in existence). Quick read which details financial education to be applied at different stages of life, from birth to school to marriage to kids to retirement to death.
Mistakes Were Made, But Not by Us: The first book I read in college was about cognitive dissonance and opened my eyes to how good the human mind is at rationalizing.  
Mormon Temple Development: With recent adjustments to Mormon endowment videos I was intrigued as to how worship in the temple as evolved with modern culture and technology. The book is very repetitive and dry but has some interesting nuggets.
Nail It Then Scale It: Good book for entrepreneurs. Pretty simple concept: Don’t make too much of your product before people actually show interest in buying it.
Narnia Series: First books I remember my Mom reading to me.
New Ideas from Dead Economists: Not recommended for your first economic book. But if you’re interested in Keynesian economics, sure read it.
One L: Harvard Law student complains about how hard his first year of law school was.
Our Heritage: Basic history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Our Search for Happiness: No Will Smith in it but this was my first favorite book. It changed my life and I encourage anyone who needs a quick read to read it.
Rich Dad Poor Dad: First finance book I read. I didn’t really understand it all but it changed my understanding of what an asset was.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: It is all about Quadrant 2 people!
Seven Tipping Points that Saved the World: Interesting historical reflection on major battles and moments which if they had gone the other way, our world would simply not be the same as it is.
Superfreakonomics: More random research presented in an enjoyable way.
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith: I read this on my two-year Mormon mission and it illustrated my mind to the wild man who was Joseph Smith. One of my favorite summers was living in Missouri where I imagined Joseph riding across the plains and fighting for the restored Gospel.
The Associate: Grisham novel about a young aspiring lawyer who gets blackmailed for some ugly incidents at a frat party.
The Automatic Millionaire: Set up a direct deposit to a savings account for 10-20% of your income, we naturally can live off of less if we never even see the money hit our bank account.
The Basics of Islam: Dr. Ray Huntington taught an excellent class at BYU which helped me appreciate these major religion.
The Book of Mormon: “A man will get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book.”
The Broker: Grisham spends a couple hundred pages showing us how a pardoned criminal learned Italian in order to avoid being killed by the Chinese, Israelis, and several others.
The Chamber: Changed my opinion of capital punishment. Yes I do believe that justice can only be exacted by God.
The Five Love Languages: Love me? Give me physical touch and words of affirmation. Want me to love you? Tell me what your love language is and I will try my best.
The Giver: I thought the movie adaptation was great. This book was the first book I read which took control of my imagination.
The Holy Bible: It is a well-read collection of books and should be read more often. My experience in Jerusalem completely changed my perception of the Bible, particularly the Jewish nature of both the Old and New Testaments (Christianity didn’t begin with Jesus, and Judaism didn’t die with Jesus (call me if you want more explanation because I can understand that is debatable)).
The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Mormonism has produced some excellent business leaders who live high quality lives and interact superiorly in the secular world.
The O'Reilly Factor: Bill O’Reilly is cocky, sexually immoral, and often misleading… but he also makes some dang good points and I am glad I watched him almost every day at six o’clock with my Dad.
The Runaway Jury: Movie might be better.
Thieves of State: My most recent finish has me questioning more about what US foreign policy in the Middle East is doing. It was eye-opening to understand what the major motivation/foundation of terrorist organizations is….corruption in their often western-backed governments.
This is my God: I love Jewish people. I wanted to marry a Jewish girl once-upon-a-time.
Warbreaker: Probably the only true, heavy, fantasy book I have finished. It has intriguing philosophy about gods combined with very imaginative literation.
Wooden: John Wooden is one of my idols. His pyramid of success, seven daily principles, and example are awe-inspiring.

Near Future
Awaken the Giant Within
Dune
Friday Night Lights
Parley P Pratt Autobiography
Speaker for the Dead
Tale of Two Cities
The Quran

Favorite College Textbooks
Human Anatomy
Human Intimacy
Nation of Nations
Real Estate Principles
Viajes
Writing and Speaking for Business

No comments:

Post a Comment