Saturday, March 22, 2014

Turkey; Haifa, Israel; and Bethlehem, Palestine

Went to a really cool biblical reserve where we learned about the healing properties of hyssop; mustard seeds/flowers/trees; water collection in cisterns and wells (Gen 24:17); use of the alpha sheep in shepherding (John 10:27); made and ate: fig tree syrup/lintel soup (Gen 25:30)/stone-cooked bread (John 6:9)/cracked wheat/herbal tea; and saw cool trees: sycamore (Luke 19:4)/almond (Num 17:8)/judas (Matt 27:5). After making our own ancient meal (I contributed to the fire making only out of spite to the girls who were calling for eagle scouts to do it) we learned about Torah scribes. In Judaism its a pretty intense process to create a Torah scroll appropriate for synagogue worship.   
Mashing up some herbs
Drawing some water. Getting big kick out of this
Garrett as Zacchaeus
Torah scribe: Full-time, 1-2 scrolls finished a year, must be Jewish, has to be done perfectly
 I taught a few members of the Bahai faith on my mission and so the highlight of our trip to Haifa was seeing the Bahai's headquarters. There are about 6 million Bahai's in the world. The religion is extremely similar to Islam except for they believe God called another prophet in the 1840's. They are very open and nice people.
In front of a Bahai tomb
The gardens were immaculate except for they do not believe in killing and manifest this by allowing local hogs to graze the land as they please
Walking these terraces is a part of the Bahai pilgrimage. I like to think I did my Minnesota Bahai friends a service by being here 
So I went to this awesome country called Turkey. Who knew that this is the meeting place of Asia and Europe, a feast for Greek ruin enthusiasts, and the stomping grounds of the Apostle Paul. The land is rich in religious history. The giant Byzantine cathedrals turned into Ottoman mosques are awesome. The cheap ice cream and souvenirs are awesome. The secular and developed nation with a majority Islamic population is awesome. Turkey is awesome.  
Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. One of those places I have never heard of but turns out to be a world-renown deal
6th Century Church made by Justinian, later made into Mosque, now museum
From the entrance to ancient Babylon. Was in a Turkey museum but I thought about my brother Seth's visit to Baghdad
You can only really see the obelisk but there are other remnants from an ancient hippodrome (stadium for chariots). They placed the nation monuments and treasures in the middle of track
In the Blue Mosque a famous Islamic mosque. Indian tourists are unaware we wanted them in our picture
Topkapi palace entrance. Ottoman empire headquarters
We took a ride on a ferry through the Bosphorous straight and the Dardanelles for that matter. This is Istanbul though. Here is your chain of bodies of water: Mediterranean Sea, Aegean Sea, Dardanelles Straight, Sea of Marmara, Bosphorus Straight, Black Sea (resting place of Crimean peninsula FYI)
Medusa stone reused in a huge cistern. I am supposed to be frozen because I looked in her eyes
Went to a whirling dervish.  Sufi (Muslim sect) mystical practice where they try to reach a state of nirvana by spinning in circles
WW 1 site commemorating the Battle of Gallipoli. The Ottomans be allied forces mostly comprised of Australian and New Zealand forces and then the newly formed Turkey nation made this site as a commemoration to them 
Battle sites always get me thinking
Me and fellow soldier Joe Moxon. I hope you can read this quote
Some favorite tombstones. Notice the mottos, ages, and religions



Dr. Seely is a fan favorite. He recited a bunch of Homer poetry for us
That distant mountain is Greece. I am standing in Assos (Acts 20:13-14)
In Troy. Not actual horse. Actual place though
Kinda lame picture for Pergamon (Rev 1:11)
Pergamon was just about my favorite. The seven cities mention in Revelation aren't symbolic FYI. Oh most things in Revelation aren't just symbolic FYI. 
In Priene bought some herbs from this nice lady
I love the ancient stadiums and theaters.
Nike Goddess of Victory
Symbol of healing. See in USA ambulances
Jeff is a cool guy
This was in a church dedicated to John the Beloved. This is the baptismal font, bend your knees
Wrestling in front of a Greek gymnasium at Sardis
I keep seeing things I want in my dream house. I think it will be heavily Greek influenced. I was tempted to steal this small one for display in my home but then realized its heavy
Look in your LDS scriptures for this picture reenactment at Ephesus
AK Party is getting out the vote in Bursa, Turkey
Necipt our guide in Turkey. Funny guy, ask me about the goat story when I get home
The two most visited Christian sites in Israel are the Church of the Holy Sepulcher (Old City Jerusalem) and the Church of the Nativity (Bethlehem). Our day in Bethlehem was one of my pilgrimage highlights. The city is in the West Bank and was such a great place to talk to local Palestinians. Completely changed my perception of the West Bank. I also had very special moments contemplating the birth and life of Jesus Christ. This was the best Christmas I have ever had. And yes we did sing Christmas songs all day (and yes it was mildly annoying at times).  

Spot where Jesus was born
A manger is a stone trough for animals. This is where Jesus lay
Altar memorial to the children killed by King Herod when Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt
I like the stadium seating okay
The Herodian. Awesome palace made by a supreme builder and very wicked man: Herod the Great
In Bethlehem there is a church which proposes to have healing powers because Mary nursed Jesus on that spot and some of the milk fell on the ground




This is an Orthodox Shepherds Field church. The Catholics also have one. And the Mormon shepherd field was on a nice hillside looking into Bethlehem where we had a very sweet Christmas program and pondering time

2 comments:

  1. ISecond attempt to post a comment (GRRRRR!) Loved your Blog. Thanks for the information and pictures. You are having the time of your life. YaHoo! I also requested a scarf, did you get that request? I am hoping to have a scarf or traditional covering that the women wear either now or 'back in the day" Travis gave me one from Egypt that I just love...so that would be a cool sourvenier. We also like plaques that have a cool saying in Hebrew. Something we could hang on the wall. You decide and thanks for asking. I will pay you back when you get here. Did you actually get to walk in the tomb of Jesus? They were discussing that in Primary today if it is allowed. I am amazed that they let you walk into baptisimals and touch so much. They don't let you touch anything at the pioneer mucsems because of the aging and oils in the hands. So it surprises me they are so liberal with it in the mid east. I had a true fear and anxiety about you going into Turkey and Instanbul. So I was glad you loved it and came back safe and sound. Hope this makes it...I wish I had my own password and account set up. I think it will show up as a comment from either Dave or Garrett this time....Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is allowed to go into the tomb of Jesus. Most Christian sites let you go in and touch the spots, that is why they usually are holes or indents.

    ReplyDelete